so proud!

When I first arrived in Kolkata, many things were a shock to my system-- the dirtiness of the city, smells, pollution, the sheer number of people here, etc.  It was difficult at first, but over time I have adjusted.  Now, I feel way more comfortable and am able to move with the flow of life as crazy & exhausting as it may be on some days.  (Even now, my mom is visiting and she keeps insisting that there is a certain smell in the air of burnt trash or something.  I still have no idea what she's referring to.)  Among the many things I've had to get used to, the mass amount of poverty was one of the things that I think I just couldn't wrap my mind around.  I knew I wanted to do something, but I was at a loss at the "how".  

Over time, the Lord was faithful to provide a place for my teammate and I to teach English in the slums.  We did this is our free time and mostly with the intentions of building relationships so we could point these people to Jesus.  We have had many chances to do that and have seen steps toward life change with some we are working with.  Even more, the kids and families of this slum area have become dear friends.  I love these people. 

 In August, we were asked to oversee a card making income generation project that would potentially bring in some money for the kids.  I was super pumped because this meant that I could be all artsy and junk and it was a chance for these kids to get to work for money.  So, I'll spare you the details, but after time, we developed a pretty good looking greeting/Christmas card if I do say so myself.  It is a simple design and it involves old saris from a local market in the north.  And the kids are really good at it!

I heard Louie Giglio say one time, "I can't do everything, but I can do something."  I am a firm believer in this statement, and I have come to see this is my "solution" toward the problem of poverty in Kolkata.  Doing what I can with where I am right now.

I get excited when I think about the future of where this could possibly go.  There are talks and hopes of it becoming something more, but right now we are just selling locally.  Recently, we had the chance to set up shop at a local Christmas Bazaar.  The cards did well and many people said they were beautiful!  When we told the kids that many cards sold, you could tell a sense of pride and amazement welled up, huge grins came across their faces and we all clapped and smiled at each other.  I'm smiling now just thinking about it...Wonderful things are happening in the slums of Kolkata.

Here are a few pictures from the local Christmas Bazaar we went to:

 
Our set up for the day.

 A look inside the basket full of cards the kids made.

 A few of the cards.

Kayla, Shaina and I.  Many thanks to Shaina who told us about the Bazaar and let us share her table!

 Most of the kids in this picture are involved in the project.


2 Response to "so proud!"

  1. martha Says:

    i love the idea... and the last photo is truly priceless!! great ideas!

  2. davilongo Says:

    i love this sentence: "I can't do everything, but I can do something."

    im a believer of that affirmation too.

Post a Comment